Robert is at present an Associate Professor of Intercultural Studies at Wheaton College. Born and raised in New South Wales, Australia, he grew up in a godly home, but did not become a follower of Jesus until his second year at the University of Wollongong. The ministries of Pastor Bill and Joan Beard, and the CRC Churches International (Australia) deeply influenced him in his walk with Christ. While completing his Bachelor of Science degree in Material Engineering he worked as a metallurgist at John Lysaghts, Port Kembla. Later he joined the teaching staff of Edmund Rice College in Wollongong where he taught mathematics and geography (grades seven to twelve) for seven years.
After teaching at the Catholic boys' high school, Robert pastored with the Lighthouse Christian Centre (an urban multicultural Pentecostal church) in downtown Wollongong. In the twenty-one years ministering with this congregation, he served as executive pastor and taught courses in Old and New Testament at their multidenominational Bible school.
Robert and his wife Dolores, with their daughters Sarita and Luisa, moved in 1990 to Pasadena, California where he studied at Fuller Theological Seminary earning Master of Arts degrees in missiology and theology, in addition to a doctorate in intercultural studies. Following completion of his studies Robert joined the faculty of the graduate program in Intercultural Studies at Wheaton College where he teaches courses in biblical theology of mission, the history of missions, and leadership studies.
In 2002 Robert's wife, Dolores, died of cancer. He has since married Jayna and together with her hree children (Landon, Sydney, and Caprice) lives in Wheaton.
Jayna taught middle school Language and Arts in Texas and Illinois before becoming an Adjunct Professor of Adult Literacy (TESOL) for Lincoln Christian University, Lincoln, Illinois. She is also a registered Spiritual Director with Christos and mentors women from all walks of life.
Robert and Jayna's children are occupied in the following vocations:
• Sarita is Assistant Professor of Religion at George Fox University in Newberg, Oregon having completed her Ph.D. in Intercultural Studies at Fuller Theological Seminary.
• Luisa is a Service Immersion Coordinator at the Center for Community Action & Service at Gonzaga University in Spokane, Washington, and is completing her Ph.D. in Leadership Studies at the same university.
• Landon is the Director of New Evangelization at St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church in Wheaton, IL. He and his wife, Jill, have two daughters, Eléna and Genevieve.
• Sydney is a homemaker with her daughter Ayva.
• Caprice is married to Ben Miller, having graduated from Wheaton College with a B.A. in Spanish.
Robert also serves as the part-time English pastor of the Wheaton Chinese Alliance Church in Wheaton, Illinois. In addition, he has ministered throughout Asia, Australia, Europe, Latin America, and the South Pacific.