Kyong-Jin Lee joined Fuller's School of Theology faculty in 2011. Prior to coming to Fuller, she served as assistant professor of Old Testament studies at Spring Arbor University in Michigan. Dr. Lee’s research explores the social, political, and theological contexts in which the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament developed and ascertained its authoritative status during the Persian and Hellenistic periods.
Lee grew up in La Paz, Bolivia, as a missionary daughter. Her current research focuses on religious and political engagement in a pluralistic setting as exemplified by Judah in the Persian and Hellenistic periods. Her book, The Authority and Authorization of Torah in the Persian Period (2011), was published by Peeters Publishers.
She is a member of the Catholic Biblical Association, the European Association of Biblical Studies, the National Association of Professors of Hebrew, and the Society of Biblical Literature.
- OT500 Old Testament Introduction
- OT501 Pentateuch
- OT502 Hebrew Prophets
- OT507 Book of Esther: Hebrew Exegesis
- OT506 Minor Prophets: Hebrew Exegesis
- OT517 Deuteronomy: English Exegesis
- OT527 Old Testament Exegesis: Deuteronomy (taught in Spanish)
- OT567 Esther
- OT745 Biblical Theology of the Old Testament for Pastors (taught in Korean)
Areas of Expertise, Research, Writing, and Teaching
Ancient historiography, inner-biblical exegesis, Biblical theology, Biblical literature in the Persian and Hellenistic Period, history of interpretation of the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament in early Christianity and Rabbinic Judaism, Asian and African hermeneutics, women in ministry
- “Ezra.” Common English Bible: Study Edition. Nashville: Abingdon, 2013.
- “Nehemiah.” Common English Bible: Study Edition. Nashville: Abingdon, 2013.
- Authority and Authorization of the Torah in the Persian Period. Louvain: Peeters, 2011.
- “Almsgiving.” The Dictionary of Early Judaism. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2010.
- “Righteousness/Justice.” The Dictionary of Early Judaism. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2010.
- “Hapax legomena and the Development of Proto-Onqelos.” Aramaic in Post-Biblical Judaism and Early Christianity. Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns, 2010.
- Review of The Dynamics of Biblical Parallelism: Revised and Expanded Edition by Adele Berlin. Horizons in Biblical Theology 30, no. 2 (2008).