Marianne Meye Thompson, the George Eldon Ladd Professor of New Testament, joined the School of Theology faculty in 1985. Thompson has been instrumental in developing advanced-level interdisciplinary courses that integrate biblical interpretation with other disciplines of the theological curriculum. She is author of John: A Commentary (New Testament Library, 2015), 1–3 John (IVP New Testament Commentary, 2011), A Commentary on Colossians and Philemon (The Two Horizons Commentary, 2005), The God of the Gospel of John (2001), and The Promise of the Father (2000), and co-author of Introducing the New Testament (2001). She has also published numerous articles and reviews in scholarly journals.
A member of the Studiorum Novi Testamenti Societas, Thompson has participated in various projects at the Center of Theological Inquiry (in Princeton, NJ), including “The Scripture Project” and “The Identity of Jesus,” as well as consultations on “Children in the Scriptures,” sponsored by the Valparaiso Project on Childhood Studies, Theology, and Ethics, and “Teaching the Bible in the 21st Century,” at the Wabash Center for Teaching and Learning. Adept at communicating Christian biblical scholarship to a popular audience, she was featured on the PBS series Genesis. Thompson has served on various editorial boards, including Theology Today and New Testament Studies.
Thompson is an ordained minister of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
- BI500: Interpretive Practices
- NE502: Exegetical Method and Practice
- NE506: New Testament Exegesis: Gospel of John (Greek text)
- NE506: New Testament Exegesis: Colossians
- NE517: New Testament Exegesis: Gospel of John (English text)
- NS500: New Testament 1: Gospels and Acts
- NS501: New Testament 2: Romans–Revelation
- NS509: Life of Jesus
- NS524: Johannine Theology
- NS525: The Cross in the New Testament
- NS542: God of the Gospels
- NT560/860: The New Testament in Its Ancient Contexts
- NT816: Contemporary Quests of the Historical Jesus
- NT818: Critical Issues in the Study of the Historical Jesus
- NT824: Critical Issues in John
Areas of Expertise, Research, Writing, and Teaching
The Gospel of John, the historical Jesus, the Gospels, issues in New Testament interpretation, God in New Testament theology, biblical theology
- John: A Commentary. The New Testament Library. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2015.
- A Commentary on Colossians and Philemon. Two Horizons Commentary Series. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2005.
- The God of the Gospel of John. Grand Rapids/Cambridge: Eerdmans, 2001. (Gold Medallion Award Christianity Today 2002.)
- The New Testament: Its Literature and Theology, with Joel Green and Paul Achtemeier. Grand Rapids/Cambridge: Eerdmans, 2001. (Academy of Parish Clergy Book of the Year 2002.)
- The Promise of the Father: Jesus and God in the New Testament. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2000.
- A Commentary on the Epistles of John. IVP New Testament Commentary 19. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1992, 2011.
- The Humanity of Jesus in the Fourth Gospel. Minneapolis: Fortress, 1988 (repr. Hendrickson, 1993).
Articles and Chapters in Journals, Reference Works, and Books
- “‘Light’” (φῶς): The Philosophical Content of the Term and the Gospel of John.” Paper presented at the Johannine Colloquium, Patmos, September 2013; scheduled for publication in colloquium volume by Mohr Siebeck (WUNT 1; eds. Alan Culpepper, Udo Schnelle and Jan van der Watt).
- “Alpha and Omega—And Everything in Between: Jesus Christ and Human Flourishing”; Consultation on Jesus Christ and Human Flourishing, Yale Center for Faith and Culture, December 2014; posted here: http://faith.yale.edu/sites/default/files/thompson_alpha_and_omega.pdf
- “The Gospel of John and Early Trinitarian Thought: The Unity of God in John, Irenaeus and Tertullian.” JECH 4 (2014): 154-66.
- “‘Behold a Man Raised Up by Christ:’ Lazarus in the Gospel of John.” In Character Studies in the Gospel of John. Edited by Steve Hunt, D. Francois Tolmie and Ruben Zimmerman. WUNT. Tübingen: Mohr Siebeck, 2013.
- “God,” in The Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. 2nd rev. ed. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2013.
- “The Bible’s Unity,” CEB Study Bible. Nashville: Abingdon, 2013.
- “Lex Orandi, Lex Vivendi: A Theological Interpretation of Discipleship in the Gospel of Matthew.” Pages 114-129 in Ears That Hear: Explorations in Theological Interpretation of the Bible. Edited by Joel Green and Tim Meadowcroft. Sheffield: Sheffield Phoenix Press, 2013.
- “What is Written in the Book of Life: Theological Interpretation of the Book of Revelation Today.” Pages 155-71 In Theology, Politics, and Intertextuality in the Book of Revelation. Edited Stefan Alkier and Richard B. Hays. Waco: Baylor, 2012.
- “Jesus and the Victory of God Meets the Gospel of John.” Pages 21-38 in Jesus, Paul and the People of God: A Theological Dialogue with N. T. Wright. Edited by Nicholas Perrin and Richard B. Hays. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 2011.
- “Jesus and God.” Pages 2575-2596 in Handbook for the Study of the Historical Jesus. Volume 3. Edited Tom Holmén and Stanley E. Porter. Leiden/Boston: Brill, 2011.
- “‘They Bear Witness to Me:’ The Psalms in the Passion Narrative of the Gospel of John.” Pages 267-283 in The Word Leaps the Gap: Essays on Scripture and Theology Sparked in Honor of Richard B. Hays. Edited by J. Ross Wagner, C. Kavin Rowe, and A. Katherine Grieb. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008.
- “Learning the Identity of Jesus from the Gospel of John.” Pages 166-179 in Seeking the Identity of Jesus. Edited by Richard B. Hays and Beverly R. Gaventa. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008.
- “The Raising of Lazarus in John 11: A Theological Reading,” Pages 233-244 in The Gospel of John and Christian Theology. Edited by Richard Bauckham and Carl Mosser. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008.
- “Children in the Gospel of John.” Pages 195-214 in The Child in the Bible. Edited by Terence Fretheim, Beverly Gaventa, and Marcia Bunge. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2008.
- “Jesus: The One Who Sees God.” Pages 215-226 in Israel’s God and Rebecca’s Children: Christology and Community in Early Judaism and Christianity. Essays in Honor of Larry W. Hurtado and Alan F. Segal. Edited by David B. Capes, April D. DeConick, Helen K. Bond, and Troy A. Miller. Baylor University Press, 2007.
- “Every Picture Tells a Story: Imagery for God in the Gospel of John,” Imagery in the Gospel of John. Edited by Ruben Zimmerman and Jörg Frey. Tübingen: Mohr (Siebeck), 2006.
- “Comparing Synoptic Texts Using Jesus Film Clips, and ‘The Symbolism of the Apocalypse through Political Cartoons.’” Pages 261-2, and 389-90 in Teaching the Bible: Practical Strategies for Classroom Instruction. Resources for Biblical Study No. 49. Edited by Mark Roncace and Patrick Gray. Atlanta: Society of Biblical Literature, 2006. “When the Ending is not the End.” Pages 65-75 in The Ending of Mark and the Ends of God. Essays in Memory of Donald Harrisville Juel. Edited by Beverly Gaventa and Patrick Miller. Louisville: Westminster John Knox, 2005.
- “The Breath of Life: John 20:22-23 Once More.” Pages 69-78 in The Holy Spirit and Christian Origins. Festschrift for JDG Dunn. Edited by Graham Stanton, Stephen Barton, Bruce Longenecker. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2004.
- “‘His Own Received Him Not: Jesus Washes the Feet of his Disciples.” Pages 258-73 in The Art of Interpreting Scripture. Edited by Richard Hays and Ellen Davis. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 2003.
- “Jesus and His God.” Pages 258-273 in The Cambridge Companion to Jesus. Edited by Markus Bockmuehl. Cambridge: Cambridge: University Press, 2001.
- “What is the Gospel of John?” Word & World: John. Fall 2001.
- “‘Mercy Upon All:’ God as Father in the Epistle to the Romans.” Pages 203-16 in Romans and the People of God. Edited by Sven Soderlund and N. T. Wright. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1999.
- “After Virtual Reality: Reading the Gospel of John at the Turn of the Century.” Pages 231-8 in What is John? Volume 2: Literary and Social Readings of the Fourth Gospel. Edited by Fernando F. Segovia. SBL Symposium Series. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1998.
- “The Living Father.” Semeia: God the Father in the Gospel of John. Vol. 85 (1999): 19-31.
- “Reflections on Worship in the Gospel of John,” The Princeton Seminary Bulletin 19 (1998): 259-78.
- “The Neglected Figure in Johannine Theology: God in the Gospel of John.” Pages 107-29 in The Papers of the Henry R. Luce III Fellows in Theology. Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1997.
- “Thinking about God: Wisdom and Theology in John 6.” Pages 221-46 in The Interpretation of John 6. Edited by R. Alan Culpepper; Leiden: E. J. Brill, 1997.
- “The Historical Jesus and the Johannine Christ.” Pages 21-42 in Exploring the Gospel of John: In Honor of D. Moody Smith. Edited by R. Alan Culpepper and C. Clifton Black. Louisville: Westminster/John Knox Press, 1996.
- “God’s voice you have never heard, God’s form you have never seen: Characterization in the Gospel of John,” Semeia 63 (1993):177-204.
- “The Gospel of John,” in A Literary Guide to the Bible. Edited by Leland Ryken and Tremper Longman. Grand Rapids, Zondervan, 1993.
- “Worship in the Book of Revelation,” Ex Auditu 8 (1992): 45-54.
- “The Gospel of John,” in Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels. Edited by I. Howard Marshall, Joel B. Green, and Scot McKnight. Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1992.
- “Intercession in the Johannine Community: 1 John 5:16 in the Context of the Gospel and Epistles of John.” Pages 225-45 in Worship, Theology, and Ministry in the Early Church: Essays in Honor of Ralph P. Martin. JSNTSupp 87. Sheffield: Academic Press, 1992.
- “Signs and Faith in the Gospel of John,” Bulletin for Biblical Research 1 (1991):89-108.
- “Eternal Life in the Gospel of John,” Ex Auditu 5 (1989) 35-55.
- “The Structure of Matthew: A Survey of Recent Trends,” Studia Biblica et Theologica 12, no. 2 (1982) 195-238.
Articles in Ecclesiastical and/or Popular Publications
- With Joel Green, “Fuller, the Bible, and Women.” Fuller magazine Issue 3 (Fall 2015).
- “The Mind of Christ in the Gospels,” Theology, News & Notes (Fall 2013).
- “Christus Victor: The Salvation of God and the Cross of Christ,” Theology, News & Notes (Fall 2012).
- “Turning and Returning to God: Reflections on the Lectionary Texts for Lent.” Pages 5-17. Interpretation 64.1. January 2010.
- “The Trustworthy Witness of Scripture,” Theology, News and Notes (Winter 2008).
- “Just Preach the Gospel,” in Theology, News and Notes (Winter 2007).
- Review, Brian McLaren, for The Burner Blog (FTS DMin).
- “The Gospel of Judas” (La Cañada Presbyterian Church website).
- Integrator: Theology News and Notes: What is the Gospel?
- “The Miracles of Jesus,” Who is Jesus? Beliefnet Forum on Jesus at beliefnet.com.
- “A Hard Sayings of Jesus: Eat my Body, Drink my Blood” for Beliefnet.com.
- “The Jesus Seminar,” Theology, News & Notes. June 1999; pp. 16-19.
- “Committing the Unforgivable Sin,” Christianity Today. June 14, 1999; p. 82.
- “Jesus and the Scriptures,” reForm: The Nature and Use of Scripture. Vol. 4.
- “Teaching the Bible to Your Children,” with John L. Thompson, Word and World 17 (1997) 295-300.
- “Interpreting the New Testament,” Theology, News & Notes (Fall, 1995).
- “Speaking of God,” Catalyst 17:3, 4 (1991):1, 7-8; 4-5.
- “Mary: Blessed by God,” Decision (December, 1989).
- Response to Richard N. Longenecker, “Authority, Hierarchy & Leadership Patterns in the Bible,” in Women, Authority & the Bible (Downers Grove: InterVarsity Press, 1986), pp. 91-96.
- “Evangelism in the Gospel of John,” Good News (4/1, Winter, 1984) 9-17.”