Pam Scalise is professor of Old Testament at Fuller Northwest, in Seattle, Washington, where she has taught since 1994.
Scalise has authored commentaries on the Minor Prophets (with John Goldingay) in the Understanding the Bible Commentary series (Baker, 2012) and in the New International Biblical Commentary series (Hendrickson, 2009), and authored the commentary on Jeremiah 26–34 in the Word Biblical Commentary series (1995), as well as numerous articles in dictionaries and journals, including Review and Expositor, Faith and Mission, and Biblical Illustrator.
Scalise was elected president of the National Association of Baptist Professors of Religion for 2007, and also serves on the editorial board of the Association’s journal, Perspectives in Religious Studies. She is also a member of several other organizations, including the Society of Biblical Literature, the National Association of Professors of Hebrew, Baptist Women in Ministry, and the Washington Association of Churches Ecumenical Dialogue Commission, representing American Baptist churches. Scalise teaches core classes in Old Testament.
- OT599: Old Testament Introduction
- OT501: Pentateuch
- OT502: Hebrew Prophets
- OT504: Writings
- OT506: OT Exegesis: Jeremiah (Hebrew)
- OT506: OT Exegesis: Zechariah (Hebrew)
- OT507: OT Exegesis: Psalms (Hebrew)
- OT507: OT Exegesis: Daniel (Hebrew)
- OT534: Old Testament Theology
- OT567: Micah (English text)
- OT567: Psalms (English text)
Areas of Expertise, Research, Writing, and Teaching
Old Testament prophets, Hebrew pedagogy
- “Old Testament Word Studies,” The Student, June 1984.
- “Women in Ministry: Reclaiming Our Old Testament Heritage,” Review and Expositor 83, no. 1 (Winter 1986).
- “An Exegesis of Zechariah 7:4-14 in Its Canonical Context,” Faith and Mission 3, no. 2 (Spring 1986).
- “The Significance of Curses and Blessings,” Biblical Illustrator, Fall 1986.
- “The Holy Spirit,” in Rightly Dividing the Word of Truth: Testimonies of Faith from the Faculty of Southern Seminary, January 1987.
- “Wisdom Woman: Invitation to Life,” Folio 5, no. 1 (Summer 1987).
- “To Fear or Not to Fear: Questions of Reward and Punishment in Malachi 2:17-4:3,” Review and Expositor 84, no. 3 (Summer 1987).
- “Rachel,” “Rebecca,” and “Sarah,” in The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, ed. Geoffrey Bromiley, rev. ed., Vol. 4 (Eerdmans, 1988).
- “The Reformers as Biblical Scholars,” Review and Expositor 86, no. 1 (Winter 1989).
- “Court Systems” and “Deborah,” in Holman Bible Dictionary (Broadman & Holman, 1991).
- “Jeremiah,” “Jeremiah, Book of,” “Hope in the O.T.,” “Love in the O.T.,” “Prophetess,” “Rachel,” “Rebecca,” and “Sarah,” in Mercer Dictionary of the Bible, ed. Watson Mills (Mercer University Press, 1990).
- With Gerald L. Borchert, “The Bible and the Spiritual Pilgrimage,” in Becoming Christian, ed. Bill J. Leonard (Fortress Press, 1990).
- “The Church with Psalms Must Shout,” Southern Baptist Church Music Journal 8 (1991).
- Issue Editor, Review and Expositor, “Hosea,” vol. 90, no. 2 (Spring 1993).
- “‘I Have Produced a Man with the Lord’: God as Provider of Offspring in Old Testament Theology,” Review and Expositor 91, no. 4 (Fall 1994).
- With Gerald Keown and Thomas Smothers, Jeremiah 26-52, Word Biblical Commentary 27 (Word Books, 1995). (I am the sole author of pp. 1-190, on Jer. 26-34.)
- “Lectionary Message ‘God Brings Life Out of Hatred’ Genesis 45:1-15,” in The Minister's Manual 1996, ed. James Cox (Harper & Row, 1995).
- “Telling Old Testament Stories,” Theology, News & Notes, vol. 44, December 1997.
- “The Five Best Books in Old Testament,” Catalyst 24 (March 1998).
- “Malachi 3:13-4:3—A Book of Remembrance for God-Fearers,” Review and Expositor 95 (Fall 1998).
- “Circling the Prophets: Refocusing the Definitions of Who They Were and What They Did,” Review and Expositor 97 (Fall 2000).
- “The Logic of Covenant and the Logic of Lament in the Book of Jeremiah,” Perspectives in Religious Studies, Festschrift for Page H. Kelley, vol. 28, no. 4 (Winter 2001).
- “Jeremiah” and “Malachi,” in The IVP Women's Bible Commentary, ed. Catherine Clark Kroeger and Mary J. Evans (InterVarsity Press, 2002).
- “The Way of Weeping: Reading the Path of Grief in Jeremiah,” Word and World 22, no. 4 (Fall 2002).
- “God's Faithfulness throughout Time: Zechariah, Prisoners of Hope,” Decision 43, no. 11 (November 2003).
- “Scrolling through Jeremiah: Written Documents as a Reader’s Guide to the Book of Jeremiah,” Review and Expositor 101, no. 2 (2004).
- “Justice and Judgment in the Book of Jeremiah: Discerning the Boundaries of God’s Wrath,” Ex Auditu 20 (2004). (A paper read at the Symposium on the Theological Interpretation of Scripture: Judgment, North Park Seminary, September 2004.)
- “Jeremiah,” in Dictionary of the Old Testament Historical Books, ed. H. G. M. Williamson, Bill Arnold, and Dan Reid (InterVarsity Press, 2005).
- “Personal Remembrance of Roy Lee Honeycutt,” Review and Expositor 102, no. 4 (2005).
- “Baruch as First Reader: Baruch’s Lament in the Structure of the Book of Jeremiah,” in Uprooting and Planting: Essays on Jeremiah for Leslie Allen, ed, John Goldingay (T. & T. Clark, 2007).
- “The End of the Old Testament,” Perspectives in Religious Studies, Festschrift for John Watts, vol. 35, no. 2 (Summer 2008).
- “Editorial Introduction,” Perspectives in Religious Studies, Festschrift for John Watts, vol. 35, no. 2 (Summer 2008).
- “Editorial Introduction,” Perspectives in Religious Studies, “The Ten Commandments,” vol. 36, no. 4 (Winter 2008).
- Notes on “Malachi,” in The Women’s Study Bible (Oxford University Press, 2009).
- With John Goldingay, Minor Prophets II, New International Biblical Commentary (Hendrickson, 2009). (I am the sole author of “Zechariah” and “Malachi,” pp 179-365.)
- “Haggai,” in Lexham Bible Dictionary, Logos Bible Software (online), 2011.
- “Building an Old Testament Library: Hosea–Malachi,” Catalyst 37, no. 4 (April 2011).
- With John Goldingay. Minor Prophets II. Understanding the Bible Commentary. Baker Books, 2012.
- “The Bible and its Chronology,” in CEB Study Bible, 2012.
- “Vision Beyond the Visions,” in “I Lifted My Eyes and Saw”: Reading Dream and Vision Report in the Hebrew Bible, edited by Elizabeth R. Hayes and Lena-Sofia Tiemeyer, Library of Hebrew Bible/ Old Testament Studies 584, pp. 47-58. London & New York: Bloomsbury, 2014.
- “Haggai,” in Lexham Bible Dictionary (online).
- “Zechariah” and “Malachi” introductions and comments in CEB Women’s Bible (Abingdon: Oct 2016).