Sung H. (Seong-Hyeon) Kim joined Fuller as assistant professor of psychology in 2009, bringing to the School of Psychology his passion for psychological assessment and advanced statistics and psychometrics such as topic modeling and structural equation modeling. Dr. Kim has provided statistical consulting and data analysis services to several research projects, using his knowledge of advanced statistics to aid studies whose data proved incompatible with traditional methods.
He has taught courses in psychological assessment and intermediate/advanced statistics and research methods, including Objective Psychological Assessment, GLM: Regression, Latent Variable Modeling, and Hierarchical Linear Modeling. Kim also has experience as a clinician at university counseling centers at Florida State University and the University of Texas at Austin.
Kim has coauthored a number of articles, appearing in journals such as Psychological Assessment, Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, International Journal for the Psychology of Religion, Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, Journal of Psychology and Christianity, and Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development. He currently serves as an associate editor of Asia Pacific Journal of Counseling.
His current research topics include cross-cultural assessment of psychopathology and spirituality/religiousness and understanding psychological characteristics and challenges of underserved, vulnerable populations such as HIV/AIDS patients seeking mental health treatment, rural women in Tanzania, and North Korean refugees.
- PC818: Clinical Interventions: Group Psychotherapy
- PE802: Objective Psychological Assessment
- PG843: Psychopathology
- PG850: GLM (Generalized Linear Models): Regression
- PG861: Hierarchical Linear Modeling (HLM)
- PG862: Latent Variable Modeling
Areas of Expertise, Research, Writing, and Teaching
Statistics, psychometrics, Asian American psychology, multiculturalism, use of self in psychotherapy, psychotherapy outcome research, counseling psychology
- Kim, S.-H., McNeill, T. M., Strenger, N. R., & Lee, C. (in press). An Actor-Partner Interdependence analysis of the ABC-X model among clergy couples. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality.
- Kim, S.-H., Martin, B. J., & Nolty, A. T. (in press). The factor structure and measurement invariance of the Daily Spiritual Experience Scale. International Journal for the Psychology of Religion.
- Kim, S.-H., Goodman, G. M., Toruno, J. A., Sherry, A. R., & Kim, H.-K. (2014). The cross-cultural validity of the MMPI-2-RF Higher-Order Scales in a sample of North Korean female refugees. Assessment. Advance online publication. doi:10.1177/1073191114548444.
- Kim, S.-H., Kim, H.-K., & Lee, N. (2013). Psychological features of North Korean female refugees on the MMPI-2: Latent profile analysis. Psychological Assessment. doi:10.1037/a0033097.
- Kim, S.-H., Robinson, J. B., & Kim, H. K. (2012). An exploratory factor analysis of the Korean MMPI-2 in a sample of North Korean female refugees. Journal of Asian Pacific Counseling, 2(1), 1-15.
- Currier, J. M., Kim, S.-H., Sandy, C., & Niemeyer, R. A. (2012). The Factor Structure of the Daily Spiritual Experiences Scale: Exploring the Role of Theistic and Non-Theistic Approaches at the End of Life. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality. doi:10.1037/a0027710.
- Kim, S.-H., Sherry, A., Lee, Y. S., & Kim, C. D. (2011). Psychometric properties of a translated Korean adult attachment measure. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 44(3), 135-150. doi:10.1177/0748175611409842.
- Kim, S.-H. (2011). Longitudinal research on psychotherapy outcome: Recent developments in theories and methodologies. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, 30(1), 75-80.
- Kim, S.-H., Fukumoto, M., & McNeill, T. M. (2011). Identifying heterogeneous subpopulations amongst Asian Americans using latent profile analysis. Journal of Asian Pacific Counseling, 1(1), 93-110.
- Kim, S.-H., Beretvas, S. N., & Sherry, A. (2010). A validation of the factor structure of OQ-45 scores using factor mixture modeling. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 42(4), 275-295. doi:10.1177/0748175609354616.
- Kim, S.-H., & Sherry, A. (2010). Descriptive discriminant analysis. In N. J. Salkind (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Research Design. Sage Publications.
- Wong, Y. J., Kim, S.-H., & Tran, K. K. (2010). Asian Americans’ adherence to Asian values, attributions about depression, and coping strategies. Cultural Diversity and Ethnic Minority Psychology, 16, 1-8. doi:10.1037/a0015045.
- Wong, Y. J., Tran, K. K., Kim, S.-H., Van Horn Kerne, V., & Calfa, N. A. (2010). A study of Asian Americans’ lay beliefs about depression. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 66 (3), 317-332. doi:10.1002/jclp.20653.