If you are a 120-unit MDiv student, please note: a student involved in a chaplaincy apprenticeship must also be a committed participant in a local church. A committed participant will attend the weekend worship service at this church for a minimum of eight (8) hours per quarter. A committed participant will also be engaged in a minimum of eight (8) hours per quarter of active ministry, preferably connected to one's vocation, in this church.
Also, for students transferring from the 144-unit MDiv to the 120-unit MDiv, it is highly recommended that students take the following courses as part of the prerequisite: IS500, IS501, IS502, and IS503. For MDiv students starting in Fall 2014, it is required that students take the following courses as part of the prerequisite: IS500, IS501, IS502, and IS503.
If you are applying for a CPE Apprenticeship/Internship please choose the CPE Apprenticeship/Internship Application process from the drop-down menu.
Before enrolling in any chaplaincy internship, you must have your internship approved by the site supervisor.
- Contact and submit an application to the chaplaincy site where you would like to serve. (Click here for a list of available to 120-unit MDiv students. Click here for a list of sites available to 144-unit MDiv students.)*
- Interview with the site chaplain and receive initial approval for the internship.
- Submit a Student Application by email to email@example.com.
- After your application is submitted, your Field Education Advisor will set up a meeting with you.
- Your Field Education Advisor will email a Course Approval Notification to the Advising Office (with a copy to you) upon the final approval of your internship.
- The Field Education and Ministry Formation Office will give you the necessary CRN to register via the Current Students Homepage.
- If you are an international student, please contact the International Student Office at firstname.lastname@example.org once your apprenticeship/internship has been approved. There may be additional paperwork to fill out in order to begin your apprenticeship/internship.
*Allow 6-8 weeks for the application approval process of chaplaincy internships.
Note: Hospital, Hospice, and Senior Care chaplaincies require a tuberculosis (TB) test before you are allowed to start your internship. Check with your internship site for the timing and location of this test, and start the process early.